NJI Media, a digital creative agency based in Old Town Alexandria, is looking for a strong WordPress developer. This individual will work closely with other developers and our design team to build and develop high performance, highly scalable, custom websites. He or she will also support, extend and/or enhance existing codes, identify areas in the user experience that can be improved, and deliver solutions from start to finish. Our ideal candidate will have a strong desire to continue improving his or her skillsets and to stay on the cutting edge of WordPress web development.
The ideal candidate is able to quickly, independently, and precisely build a WordPress website from design assets and functional documentation. Maintenance and updates to existing sites also factors into the responsibilities of this position.
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL SKILL
- Attention to Detail – You must be naturally precise, and you must take genuine, personal pride in being meticulous about your craft.
- Communication – Our operational style emphasizes flexibility and encourages autonomy. As a result, uncommonly good common sense, and exceptional communication skills are absolutely indispensable for every team member.
- Time Management – We know that nothing is ever ‘done’. The proven ability to manage your time sensibly and proportionately with project priorities is critical.
IDEAL FRONT-END EXPERIENCE
- HTML – Demonstrated correct and semantic application of markup, including headers, lists, forms, etc, ability to distinguish HTML 5 from XHTML 1, HTML 4.01, etc.
- CSS – Mastery of clean and organized styling techniques, including responsive techniques. Knowledge of graceful degradation/progressive enhancement approaches to browser support.
- jQuery – Capable of leveraging jQuery to modify existing UI behaviors and interactions and to create brand new interactions from scratch.
IDEAL BACK-END EXPERIENCE:
- WordPress – Demonstrated experience installing and developing quality sites in WordPress.
- PHP5 – Very strong with PHP syntax and features. Understand variables, constants, arrays, loops, internal functions, php configurations, error logging/reporting, and OOP principles.
- Linux – Basic familiarity working from shell or terminal in Mac or Linux.
- Apache – Background with Apache web server, knowledge of basic configuration, optimization and authentication techniques.
- MySQL – Knowledge of schemas, tables, users and privileges, principles of relational databases, and SQL commands. Able to migrate legacy data from unlike management systems.
- Analytics – Familiar with implementing and evaluating results from metric gathering technologies such as Google Analytics.
- SSL – Experience requesting and installing certificates, directing traffic through secure ports, and encrypting protected data.
- MVC – Good grasp of the MVC architectural pattern.
- APIs and Web Services – Experience working with APIs, and creating and consuming web services, using SOAP and REST protocols.
- XML – Understand how to properly structure and use XML for transferring data.
These are not required, but would be considered plusses:
- Git, SVN, or other version control system.
- Sass, SCSS.
- Gulp/Grunt, Bower package manager.
- Experience with Studiopress WP framework Genesis would be huge.
- RegEx skills.
- Other technologies such as NGINX, PHP–FPM, APC, Memcache, Varnish, and CDN.
ABOUT NJI MEDIA
NJI Media was recently recognized by Inc. Magazine as one of the fastest-growing companies in the United States. Our headquarters is housed within an old grain warehouse that was built circa 1880. Some highlights of the office include a 30ft atrium, a complete kitchen, unlimited snacks, awesome beverages, regular team activities. We provide excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401k (with matching) and even life insurance. In addition, we provide maternity and paternity leave along with a substantial amount of vacation time. Oh, and we give vacation bonuses and force you to leave the D.C. metro area.
We strongly believe that our company is only as good as our team. To that end, we put a significant amount of emphasis on employee happiness. From regular team meals (sometimes prepared by our CEO) to our monthly Learn at Lunch series, we provide
many ways to foster a family environment and provide growth opportunities.
Learn more about us at www.njimedia.com
Below are some of our benefits at NJI Media
- Generous PTO plan
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Parking or transportation stipend
- Excellent health, dental and vision insurance plans
- Vacation bonus
- Top of the line Apple computer
- Amazing office space and best in class teammates
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds right, please send an informal email to Sarah at email@example.com with a brief message introducing yourself, and attach your resume. If you have a portfolio, include the link, and especially include any code samples that reflect your abilities. We’re excited to hear from you.
Thanks for reading this all the way through. If you’ve read this far and you plan to apply, please place the word “panda” in uppercase, enclosed in square brackets at the beginning of the subject line in your application email. This helps us notice how thorough you are.