I’m the new guy. Every office has one. It can take a while to settle in and become part of a new environment. I imagine coworkers thoughts usually range from, “Man I hope the new guy doesn’t like Nickelback,” to “He better step up his Gingham game if he wants to stick around here.”
I feel like I’m starting to settle in, and after reading last week’s “What’s A New Team Member to Expect?” post, I figured I would share how my expectations have met reality during my first few weeks on the job.
1. I had a fruit smoothie for breakfast every day during my first week. This week? 3 (pairs of) Pop-Tarts, and I have a vague memory of a Crispy Creme donut.
2. The food and drink supply really is endless. I haven’t been to heaven, but if I get there I hope they have as much Arnold Palmer Tea as the NJI Media refrigerator
3. Type passwords faster than my birthday, you say? I remembered a 10 digit randomly generated password that I’ve only known for a week, a few minutes ago. I can’t even remember what I had for dinner last night.
4. I’m inspired every day by the endless creativity our staff displays when communicating strictly through emoticons.
5. “A deer in the bathroom, staring at you.” That’s not a joke, there’s really a deer in the bathroom. There’s also a duck, and a (fake) moose. This is an old building, so I bet there are some other critters around.
6. Trying to imagine how our designers and developers can accomplish so much, so quickly, reminds me a lot of the age-old question “How can Santa visit every house in the world in one night?” …I don’t know how they do it. I just know they do it, and that’s awesome.
There is a lot more that I’ve learned here in a short period of time, but its tough to think through it all when your desk is only a few feet away from a Galactic Civil War Battle….